Thursday, November 24, 2011

GF Pastry Flour Mix -for gluten free baked goods

Get out your measuring cups, it's flour mixing time!

GF Pastry Flour Mix:
2 C brown rice flour
2/3 C potato starch (kinda hard to find, but you can buy it on Amazon)
1/3 C tapioca flour

Mix them in a jar and shake, shake, shake!!!

I use all Bob's Red Mill flours, they're here in Portland :)

Gluten is a binding agent, it is what holds baked goods together when made with wheat (and white) flour. In gluten free baking, there is no binding agent- the gluten. So we use xanthan gum. Each recipe will call for a different amount since we want certain baked good to be tighter than others. I stay clear of the all purpose gluten free flours that have xanthan gum already in them. The ones I have tried have tasted funny and I never really know what I am going to get for a final product. This mix is tried and true! I have used this to adapt many recipes and test out about how much xanthan gum to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment