Monday, November 28, 2011

Journey on a pie crust... Gluten free pumpkin fluff mini pies!

How delicious does this look?!

OK, so I have been too afraid to embark on a gluten free pie baking journey through out the year. There it is, I admitted it. I was too afraid to get all excited about a delicious pie and have the crust turn out, well, totally gross. 

David and I decided to do our Gratitude Day (Thanksgiving) here at home together with our sweet lil P. We are truly amazed by our family and thought it would be fun to cook up a storm for just the three of us (the girls are with their biological mom this year). In my view, Thanksgiving is just not Thanksgiving with out PIE (or casseroles for that matter). So I mustered up my baking courage and waited till the last minute went for it. 

Well, I went a little crazy with the pie crust. Um, maybe a lot crazy. I started with the intention of pecan (pee-can) pie- southern tradition baby! Then the thoughts, ideas and inspiration took off and I would not stop mixing, kneading, and rolling out gluten free pie crust dough.


GF Pie Crust:

1 C + 2 Tablespoons GF Pastry Flour Mix
2 Tablespoons Sweet rice flour
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons Spectrum palm oil Shortening (or butter)
1 egg
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla

mix dry ingredients. cut in shortening and blend until the flour looks like corse meal. add egg and vinegar and vanilla, if you're making a sweet pie. mix on low until ball forms. plop dough ball on wax paper, then place another piece on top and roll out. I use a wine bottle :) grease 9" pie pan/dish peel off top piece of wax paper, turn bottom sheet upside down to transfer dough to pan. Pinch edges and cook according to pie recipe. If you need a precooked pie crust ***check recipe first! then prick the bottom of the dough several times and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.


I made it with: 
1. orange juice to sub for ACV  
2. vanilla sweet pies


So what did I put in them? 

Well, this is what went in the vanilla one. My mother always had this pumpkin fluff pie recipe, which I forgot but reinvented. 

1 can organic pumpkin pie filling
1/2 container of cool whip
1 pie crust
1 pecan on top


that's it. so simple.







No comments:

Post a Comment