Friday, April 27, 2012

Burlap Covered Diaper Boxes


**There are tons of photos in this post, consider yourself warned!**

We cloth diaper, except at night and on days where we are really lazy- about one day a month.
With that said, we have bought maybe 6 boxes of diapers total. Why? Well, they are expensive and toxic. If you don't know the details on how awful disposable diapers are you should look them up. 

I am not here to rant and rave, I am here to tell you about how I am reusing my disposable diaper boxes since the diapers themselves are so wasteful.

If you look here and here you will see the inspiration for my girls' room. This is another low cost project to promote their organization while they live with us full time over the summer! They also helped make them :)

What you will need:
Cardboard (diaper) box
burlap
spray paint
cheap wooden picture frame from Craft store
thin wood to cut (or cardboard might even work!)
E6000 (the best craft glue ever!)
scissors
spray glue
chalkboard spray paint


I primed my boxes.

Here is where I would do it differently if I did it again...
I would spray paint my boxes brown first, since the primer and Luvs label showed through after I adhered the burlap. Which I ended up "fixing" by spray painting the whole box and burlap a nutmeg brown after they were covered...


Awful photo above, sorry, but it was the only one I had of the process :)

Cut your burlap to cover the box and spray the whole box with spray adhesive outside! That stuff is a sticky mess, but it works. I wore gloves, that stuff is sooooo hard to get off of your hands.

Once my box was covered, I spray painted them nutmeg color- and I don't have a photo of this step.

I spray painted a $1 wooden frame blue. 

Happy Hubby used the cardboard insert of this cheap Michaels wooden frame as a template to cut out this thin wood to fit in the frame. I primed it with spray primer and then 2 coats of chalkboard paint.



I glued the frame in with this:


Then glued the frames onto the burlap covered boxes with the same glue and put them face down with heavy books inside of the box to make sure the frames stuck.


Happy Hubby added eyelets to the sides which I intend to add braided jute handles to.


And they fit perfectly on our shelves in the girls' room.


All that is left is to write in chalk what we keep in the boxes and add handles!

Great way to up cycle! 





1 comment:

  1. OMGosh! Those look awesome! Way to add the frame. It made such a difference!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete