Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Crock Pot "baby food"- apples and sweet potatoes


This is a favorite in our home. All three kids will mow through a batch of this in no time, and it's so simple. I got tired of making a huge pot on the stove so now we crock pot it.

What you'll need:
Apples
Sweet Potatoes
Lemon or lemon juice
Cinnamon

Peel and cut up sweet potatoes and apples. 

Place sweet potatoes on the bottom of your crock then apples on top- since apples make a lot of their own water.

Add water to the crock. I added just enough to cover half of my apples and sweet potatoes.

Cook for 4-6 hours on low. 

Sweet potatoes should be tender, but not mushy. 
It should look about like this:


Toss apples, sweet potatoes, and water from the crock in the blender (or food processor, but blender holds more). 

Add a squeeze of lemon juice- it's about 1/4 medium lemon's juice for 1/2 a crock's worth. Make sense?

Add a few dashes of cinnamon and blend away! I never really measure anything...

It'll look like this:


And there you have it.

I have a feeling my children will be eating this all the way through college. 

Seriously, they like it that much.



The babes will snack on just the apple flavored sweet potatoes from the crock pot.

In this post I wrote about baby carrots in the crock as snacks. 

You can do carrots in this recipe as well instead of sweet potatoes. In which case I like to add a little ginger.

The other cool thing about this mixture is that it makes a great addition to pancakes or baked oatmeal!
That'll have to be a whole other blog though!

Happy Crock Potting!



3 comments:

  1. This was delicious!!! I made 6 jars out of one sweet potato and 3 apples. I liked the taste of it myself :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does this keep in fridge? or do you freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a great outlet and at the very least will help you capture your baby food .

    ReplyDelete