Thursday, April 5, 2012

Crock pot baby (food) carrots!


 Did you know you can make baby food in the crock pot?

I wish I'd discovered this a lot sooner, life would have been way less complicated! However I am utilizing  this technique now. We received this "little dipper" crock pot with our large one as a wedding gift. It only has one setting, which is warm.
I had no idea what to do with it and even looked up recipes online, but everything was for dips. I decided that I'd try a sweet potato in it one day to see if I could make veggies for P, I figured if it didn't work I could just dump it into a pot and boil it. Well, after about 4 hours, my sweet potato was cooked!!

Mr. P is really into feeding himself these days, which is great since I can get things accomplished around the house while he eats. Chips and other carb loaded foods are most of the finger foods. Then it dawned on my, what about cooked carrots?!


So, I filled the little dipper with carrots and topped it off with water, and let it cook for 6 hours.

I then unplugged the little dipper and dumped the water out, allowing the carrots to cool. I then dumped them into a ziploc and threw them into thew fridge.


I gave lil man a small bowl of hummus to dip his carrots in...
What does Mr P think?



He loves them!


The best part is, the carrots are not smushy and falling apart. The even better part is that they are soft enough that he couldn't choke on them, and could potentially be smashed up for baby food!




4 comments:

  1. Love this idea! My 2 year old hates the crunch of carrots (i know...he's weird), but my 4 year old loves them. This is a great solution!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! More please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have posted another crock pot baby food idea here:
      http://besweetlyinspired.blogspot.com/2012/04/crock-pot-baby-food-apples-and-sweet.html

      Have you been experimenting?

      Delete
  3. it is a great outlet and at the very least will help you capture your baby food .

    ReplyDelete